Kefir is an absolute lifesaver for our family:
My 3 teenage boys have seasonal allergies. For the last few years, we have used milk kefir to avoid allergy symptoms.
When the boys were little we tried everything. I bought every single allergy pill on the market, some worked better than others, but after a few weeks of taking it, it would be ineffective and we would need to find something else. It was so bad, when we went to a concert in the park, the whites of the eyes would swell. (Yes, I got a little freaked out, but apparently it's "normal.")
Finally, my friend Cara gave me some milk kefir. Go here to read her post on Dairy Kefir for Seasonal Allergies. *If anyone is your family is sensitive to food changes, please read through Cara's post on healing crisis. When we first started, one of my sons did go through a detox.
It was amazing how much it helped! Within days they had no allergy symptoms! We had to be careful to give it to them every day or symptoms would return. In a pinch, I've even bought store-bought kefir and it still helped.
To be honest, my teenagers aren't very fond of the taste of milk kefir. But they ask for a smoothie every morning, because they can feel the difference it makes and it works better than any pill!
I have used pasteurized and raw milk to make kefir. I definitely recommend raw milk, but if that is not available to you right now, we still had allergy relief when we used pasteurized milk.
Kefir has other great health benefits as well, DIY Natural explains it great: How to Make Kefir and a bit about it's benefits.
Click here to purchase your own kefir grains from Cultures for Health
(Scroll down for more How-to and FAQ on Kefir.)
Every morning we drink a milk kefir smoothie:
4 cups kefir
1 cup frozen fruit
2 tablespoons raw local honey (this also helps relieve allergy symptoms)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Blend all together in a blender.
Want to know how to make kefir? It's wonderfully easy! Check out these links:
- How to Make Kefir From Whole Natural Life
- How to Make Kefir Video + FAQ from The Polivka Family
- Kefir FAQ from Homemade Mommy
- What is kefir? from Homemade Mommy
Click here to find out exactly what probiotics you can get from kefir:
- Milk and Water Kefir Grains From Real Food Forager
Avoiding dairy? You can still do kefir!
- Water Kefir recipes and tips from Earth Friendly Goodies
- Coconut milk kefir from Homemade Mommy
- Coconut water kefir and coconut kefir pudding from Small Footprint Family
Nourishing Days Talks about Why They Choose Kefir for its Health and Sustainability
Need some recipes on how to get this amazing food into your family? Try these:
- How to make kefir cheese (cream cheese!) from Homemade Mommy
- Raw kefir cheesecake from Homemade Mommy
- Natural Gelatin Desserts from DIY Natural
- Kefir K2 smoothie from Homemade Mommy
- Kefir Pops are a great way to get kefir in the kids.